Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Wellington's Victories (Book #47)

I wish I'd had Wellington's Victories: A Guide to Sharpe's Army 1797-1815 (Matthew Morgan, 2004) when I was first starting to research the Napoleonic-era British army, because it's such a concise summary of the army's organization, weapons, terminology, etc. And it's an excellent basic reference, especially if you just want to understand a little more of what's going on in the Sharpe series and similar books. For the serious researcher, it's a good beginning point, but I caught a couple of minor errors that make me hesitant to trust it absolutely. Still, it's a good reminder and springboard for further research.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the book recommendation, Susan. Do you have Redcoat by Richard Holmes? I've only dipped into it a couple of times so far, but it seems very good, and has good reviews.