Monday, February 16, 2009

Kitchen Confidential

I'm sick again. Or perhaps I should say still. This round may be a mild case of pneumonia; I'll be staying home from work and seeing the doctor tomorrow. So I've again been spending a lot of the time lounging on the couch or in bed with a book. Currently I'm re-reading Sense & Sensibility and working my way through the second volume of Elizabeth Longford's Wellington biography, but over the weekend I read Kitchen Confidential (Anthony Bourdain, the 2007 updated edition).

Bourdain is as close to a universal crush object as I've found--I think because he's a real-life reformed but not exactly repentant rake, AND he could pamper you by cooking amazing meals. And it doesn't hurt that he's tall, dark, and handsome. Don't get me wrong, I'm a happily married woman, but Bourdain makes a nice Secret Celebrity Boyfriend. And Kitchen Confidential is a fun memoir of his wild youth and eventual success, with musings about food, cooking, and life. If you like No Reservations, you'll enjoy this book.

No comments: