Friday, July 24, 2009

Gothic Charm School

For years, Jillian Venters, the Lady of the Manners, has been offering advice to Goths and their friends and families on how to be a polite member of an oft-misunderstood subculture on her website, Gothic Charm School. She now has a 2009 book with the same title--a mixture of etiquette advice and guidance for the perplexed, with some history lessons thrown in. I'm not a Goth myself, but despite not being the target audience I loved this book. It's a witty, well-written guide to a subculture several of my friends belong to, and I enjoyed learning more about their world. Also, the etiquette advice is applicable to anyone, especially all of us who are a bit out of the mainstream in one way or another. How to be different without being rude, if you will.

No comments: