Monday, October 15, 2007

The Nine (Book #101)

Usual caveat: Democrat, albeit more on the Jim Webb than the Dennis Kucinich end of the party. Usually don't talk politics on this blog, but it's partly my reading diary, and sometimes I read politics.

The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court (Jeffrey Toobin, 2007) is an intimate and anecdotal look at the justices and decisions of the Supreme Court, roughly during my adult life--the early 90's through the present. It's extremely depressing at points (I don't think I'll EVER be able to revisit the 2000 election without wanting to weep, or smash things, or something), but also informative and engrossing.

And it's made me more determined than ever to see a Democrat elected in 2008, preferably a two-termer. It's likely there will be several vacancies in the next decade, and if they're filled with more justices in the Roberts and Alito mold, we won't recognize our civil liberties ten years from now.

No comments: