Friday, October 19, 2007

Sharpe's Revenge (Book #103)

Having finished Sharpe's Revenge (Bernard Cornwell, 1989), I now only have two books left in the series, and then where am I supposed to go for my Age of Sail/Flintlock adventure fix? Other than writing them myself, which while satisfying is also time-consuming. And sometimes you want to be taken along on someone else's ride rather than having to build the roller-coaster yourself from the ground up, you know?

So. Peace after two decades of war--hard on soldiers. Jane--sneaky shallow little bitch, though I have to say that double standards SUCK. Lucille--more appealing in the book than in the movies, though she's still not quite Teresa or Lady Grace. General Calvet--made of awesome. Ducos--evil, but how many times can one man's glasses be broken? One of these days I'm going to write a nearsighted historical hero who's a bespectacled badass, just 'cuz. Myopic Pride, or something like that.

Anyway, I'm really going to miss this series when I'm done. I've still got most of Cornwell's books set in earlier eras to get to, but it's just not the same for me, since the Napoleonic Era is my main "home" in the past. Anyone else ever get the dread not that they'll run out of BOOKS, because that's impossible, but that they'll run out of GOOD books that hit their readerly sweet spots? Especially because the older I get and the more I write myself, the more persnickety and hard to please I become.

No comments: