Thursday, January 3, 2008

Class Meme

Normally I save playing with memes for my LiveJournal, but I decided to post this one to my reading/writing blog. I find myself writing about class and social mobility a LOT in my manuscripts, I think partially because of my own blue collar rural upbringing and urban, white collar, elite-educated adult lifestyle. It's not traumatic or something I dwell on a lot, but it's part of me, and occasionally makes me feel like an Other wherever I am--I see people who've grown up urban/suburban elite or who never left the rural South stereotype people Not Like Them, and I cringe, because I know how wrong they are. I've lived in more than one world.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the meme, with items that apply to me bolded.

* Father went to college
* Father finished college
* Mother went to college
* Mother finished college
* Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor

* Were the same or higher socio-economic class than your high school teachers
* Had more than 50 books in your childhood home
* Had more than 500 books in your childhood home
* Were read children's books by a parent - Only until I could read them myself. Then I lost patience with being read to--it's too slow.
* Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18
* The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively. - People who are like me NOW are portrayed positively. People from where I grew up, NSM.
* Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18
* Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs
* Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs
* Went to a private high school
* Went to summer camp
* Family vacations involved staying at hotels - We camped.
* Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18
* There was original art in your house when you were a child
* You and your family lived in a single family house - We lived in the country. EVERYONE lived in single family houses.
* Your parent(s) owned their own house(s) or apartment before you left home
* You had your own room as a child
- Yes, but I was the only girl, and my brothers all left home by the time I was 5. THEY had to share back in the day.
* You had a phone in your room before you turned 18
* Participated in an SAT/ACT prep course
* Had your own TV in your room in High School
* Owned a mutual fund or IRA in High School or College
* Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16
* Went on a cruise with your family
* Went on more than one cruise with your family
* Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up
* You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family

No comments: