Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bewitching Season (Book #53)

Two or three years ago, I judged the historical category for an RWA writing contest, I forget which one. One of the five entries was unusual--YA with fantasy elements--and was also the best unpublished writing contest entry I'd ever read.

I now have the pleasure of seeing one of this author's books in print. (Not the one I judged--that would be the next book due out.) The book in question is Bewitching Season (Marissa Doyle, 2008). It's the tale of magically gifted identical twins Persephone and Penelope Leland, who are making their social debut in 1837 London. They must try to keep their powers secret while figuring out how to rescue their kidnapped governess and foil a wizardly plot against soon-to-be Queen Victoria. It's rollicking good fun, though I felt like it really needed to be longer--the magical plot and worldbuilding of how the girls' powers worked weren't as well developed as I would've liked.

No comments: