Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Myth of Certainty

I wish I'd read The Myth of Certainty (Daniel Taylor, 1986) fifteen or twenty years ago. On the other hand, back then I would've taken one look at the title and said, "Certainty isn't a myth! What is Intervarsity Press thinking to publish something like that?" It's not that I didn't have doubts about my faith back then, I just kept them buried deep and beat them down whenever they tried to well up with uncomfortable questions. That's not a sustainable way to live and think, and I eventually admitted that the kind of faith I'd been taught to believe didn't have all the answers--and contained some out-and-out falsehoods. Ever since I've been trying to figure out whether I can sustain some kind of faith without the certainties I used to cling to. For Narnia fans, I often say I have the faith of Puddleglum--I want to live as like a Narnian I can even if there is no Narnia, and I'm on Aslan's side even if there is no Aslan to lead it. I think it would've saved me a lot of angst along the way if I'd realized years and years ago there was no such thing as certainty and that maybe that's OK.

No comments: