Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Lady of Fortune (Book #38)

Lady of Fortune (Mary Jo Putney, 1988) is one of the author's earliest works, recently re-released for the library market in large print format. I checked it out even though I find large print a bit of a chore to read. Yes, I know in 30 years I'll probably feel differently. Only by then we'll be reading all our books electronically and can choose our favorite fonts and text sizes. Or maybe not. So far the future has been disappointingly unfuturistic. I mean, here we are in the 21st century and not a flying car to be found! This is not what I expected as a little girl in the 1970's watching the Jetsons, that's for sure.

Anyway, the book. Even without the copyright date I'd know this was an early work, because Putney's current writing is a lot more polished. And the heroine is just a little too capable. But this was still a fun read, and with a level of historical detail and overall richness that's all too rare in romance nowadays, IMHO. It's set in the 1790's, and the heroine is a French noble emigre who through a series of misadventures is obliged to support herself as a servant--your basic Cinderella tale.

No comments: