Friday, June 1, 2007

The Wild Trees (Book #48)

I've seen coast redwoods, the ones that are readily accessible via well-marked paths for a non-athletic person on a road trip along the California coast. And they're amazing. You can't walk through them without experiencing the numinous. I know I felt out of place there, but I wouldn't have been surprised to see a dinosaur walk past, or perhaps an elf or an angel. My experience of the redwoods is trivial compared to that of the scientists and obsessives of The Wild Trees: A Story of Passion and Daring (Richard Preston, 2007). These people have devoted their lives to discovering what's left of virgin redwood forest and the life in its canopies. It's extremely well-written narrative nonfiction, both informative and engrossing, and I recommend it highly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read the book, and also found the Grove of Titans and Lost Monarch. One other titan also.

Don't forget that the world of old growth redwoods starts at ground level. So a hike on some of the trails still allows partial experience to what the climbers feel.

My page about finding the grove...

Grove of Titans search

Not sure if you have hiked on it, but Boy Scout Tree Trail in Jedediah Smith Redwoods has some very nice big trees too.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon