Friday, March 28, 2008

Genghis: Birth of an Empire (Book #32)

A more accurate title for Genghis: Birth of an Empire (Conn Iggulden, 2007) would be Genghis: The Coming of Age of the Man Who Would Be Emperor, but that would be a little long to fit on a book cover. It's a page-turning adventure story, richly researched, and very macho. I enjoyed it much the same way I enjoy Bernard Cornwell's books, though their voices are quite different.

Temujin (the future Genghis) is hard and ruthless--sort of like Napoleon, only even more so. And yet Iggulden managed to make me root for Temujin, even though I never root for Napoleon for precisely those reasons. I've already got Book Two on hold at the library, and then I think I'll go back and try his Caesar series.

Happiness is discovering a new author with a backlist.

No comments: