Saturday, March 15, 2008

Serenity: Those Left Behind (Book #27)

Serenity: Those Left Behind (Joss Whedon, Brett Matthews, Will Conrad, 2006) is a comic book designed to fill in the gap between Joss Whedon's late, lamented TV series Firefly and its cinematic sequel, Serenity. I adore Firefly, and I enjoyed Serenity, but I was a little disappointed in this graphic interlude. It worked well enough to explain what happened to some of the characters in the interim, but the story itself didn't really capture my interest or stand alone.

Also, and this is a COMPLETELY random issue, but the way the artists drew Mal is messing with my head. You see, Jack in my WIP is physically based on Nathan Fillion, who played Mal, only he's morphed a little as the the character has developed. This is hard to explain, but Comic!Mal is shifted in a different direction away from Fillion's actual appearance than my Jack is, and it's warping my mental picture of Jack. He'll go back to normal soon, but every time I looked at Mal, I thought, "Something's not right here."

No comments: