Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Man-Paper



The Greater Seattle RWA chapter has a white elephant gift exchange every year at the holiday party. Unlike most such exchanges, we don't unwrap the gifts until the end, because the competition is all about the wrapping. It can be beautiful and elaborate, goofy, bawdy, or whatever, just as long as it's interesting. I'm not artistic enough to go the beautiful route, so I've established my own tradition of doing some kind of "why Susan writes the Regency era" collage, often heavy on Sean Bean as Sharpe or Ioan Gruffudd as Hornblower.


This year I decided to stick with that theme, but to look for handsome portraits actually from the period. I got some help from my other RWA chapter, the Beau Monde, and did some searching on my own. I ended up with a lot of military images, just 'cuz.




Mine wasn't the most popular gift at the party--I'm pretty sure the one with chains in place of ribbons got that honor! However, the Dead Guys, as my chaptermates kept calling them, were passed around several times during the course of the afternoon.

I also liked the gift I came home with--this riff on Harlequin Presents titles on a book-shaped tin.



Oh, and this post reveals that I've finally learned three Very Important Things: 1) how to take pictures with my new iPhone, 2) how to download said pictures, and 3) how to upload aforementioned pictures to my blog. I may be slow, but I get with the technological program eventually.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely! glad your regency man wrapping paper turned out beautifully.

Cynthia

Susanna Fraser said...

Thanks for stopping by, and I'm glad you like it!

Diane Gaston said...

Susan, I love your Regency Man paper. That would have been the gift I grabbed for first! And I especially like your choices of military men. That image of Wellington is one I haven't seen much.

What a surprise, too, to see Scandalizing the Ton on your sidebar. Gee and golly! You also have one of my favorite Regency research books, Our Tempestuous Day. Love that book.

Susanna Fraser said...

I'd never seen that particular Wellington portrait before, but I like it.

Right now I've got the sidebar set to random, but it's always fun to see what pops up! It's a great way to revisit old favorites or be reminded of a book languishing in the TBR pile.

Delle Jacobs said...

Cool, Susan! You should go into production and sell it to Regency readers and writers.

Delle

Anonymous said...

I didn't get the present, but I talked the one who did out of the wrapping. Now Susan's "dead guys" are mine!

Judy W

Elena Greene said...

Wow, I love it. Also, congrats on winning NaNoWriMo!!!!