Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Night Remembers (Book #111)

I'm not usually a reader of contemporary romance, but there are a few exceptions, and one of them is Kathleen Eagle, author of The Night Remembers (1997). She writes gritty stories about characters with troubles and skeletons in their closets, and this book is no exception. I don't know how to describe it in a paragraph or two and do it justice. It's a character-driven story of the healing power of love, which sounds twee, but is moving as it plays out over 350 pages or so. It's suffused with spirituality, mostly Native American (which Eagle gets right AFAICT from my outsider's perspective), which gives it something of a feel of magical realism even though there are no true fantastical elements in the story.

Anyway. I know I'm being completely vague, but this is a very good book.

No comments: