Sunday, December 3, 2006

On Book Reviews

My first foray into blogging was a LiveJournal, mostly a scattershot discussion of whatever happened to be on my mind. The one feature of that journal I decided to bring to this new blog is summaries/reviews of all the books I read.

Reviewing books feels like a risky endeavor for an unpublished writer. You don't want to go around bashing someone who's by definition ahead of you in the game--they have a work in print, while you don't. You don't want to make enemies or pile up bad karma. The decision I made, at least for now, is to only review books I liked enough to finish. I've never been the type to stick with a book I don't enjoy. Life is too short to read bad books when there are so many good ones out there. So any book you read about here is one I like enough to give at least a qualified recommendation--if you like that sort of thing, you might find it worth a look.

No comments: