Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Serenity Found (Book #41)

I still haven't quite let go of my grudge against FOX for mis-marketing, mishandling, and prematurely canceling Firefly, so I'm solidly in the target audience for Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe (Jane Espenson, ed., 2007). As usual with an anthology, it's a mixed bag. Some made me think. (How could I not have noticed how similar Mal and Simon's hero's journeys were?) Others got on my nerves. (I don't care what Orson Scott Card says, I still think Deep Space 9 was excellent TV scifi, and Next Gen at its best was pretty damn fine, too. If I can ever in my LIFE come up with a cliffhanger hook to rival, "Mr. Worf, fire!" I'll die a happy writer. Of course, I think Card and I are operating from different standards of merit, and that's allowed.)

Anyway, a worthwhile read for the Firefly fan. I need to find time to rewatch "Out of Gas" sometime soon...

No comments: