Tuesday, February 19, 2008

VeggieTales: Convenience Food

Tonight the husband is at a Meetup with blogging friends, so the daughter and I were on our own. There are leftovers in the fridge, but I'd already had two meals of kugel in a row and didn't want a third. I really, REALLY wanted to cheat. A chicken club from Kidd Valley sounded like the perfect meal. But I had to go by the grocery store anyway to get bread for tomorrow night's dinner, so I decided to at least look at the vegetarian options.

I didn't want a cheese pizza after my previous experience with cheese overkill, but I found a vegan pizza from Amy's that was basically just a vegetable tart. Sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, onions, peppers, etc. And it was surprisingly good, very rich and sweet-tart.

I fed my daughter a kid's meal with chicken nuggets, kinda hoping that, as she often does, she'd leave some of the nuggets uneaten. Then I wouldn't be so much cheating as just not wasting food.

She ate them all.

One somewhat surprising note: I'm up four pounds since Lent began. I realized that I've been using "no meat" as an excuse for every other caloric indulgence. I need that ice cream for protein! Oops.

No comments: