Monday, February 11, 2008

VeggieTales, Day 5: Bruschetta Caprese

For tonight's dinner, I toasted French bread with olive oil and garlic powder (normally I would've used chopped garlic, but we ran out last night), then topped it with sweet onion, basil leaves, tomato slices, and fresh mozzarella and stuck it back in the oven to melt the cheese. And it was pretty good. Certainly infinitely better than last night's World's Blandest Beans. Next time I'll have a better garlic product. What would REALLY taste good would be roasted garlic cloves smeared on the bread, but chopped garlic would do. Also, if I have just a few minutes more to work with, I'll slice or tear the basil--with whole leaves, you get one basilly bite and that's it. Even with those changes, I think it could use just a tad more bite. Maybe some healthy grinds of black pepper, or a few crushed red pepper flakes. Or even that great, ubiquitous condiment of our time, balsamic vinegar.

I had leftover beans for lunch. They weren't much better the second time around. I think tomorrow I'll just take Easy Mac. At least it's appealingly bland.

No comments: